[Esip-disasters] [ESIP-all] Request for info on "Trusted Data" concepts

Pat Cappelaere pat at cappelaere.com
Tue Jun 13 21:59:57 EDT 2017

Hi Karen,

I would agree with Peng.  For disasters, trusted data is more important than trusted repositories.  I do not even think that these trusted repositories can actually exist.  Any repository can be hacked fairly easily these days. Tragic example of centralization!

Trusted data for disasters is data the I can have access to 100% of the time, reliably and very fast.  Central repositories are single point failure and/or extremely expensive to maintain.  Not quite in the NASA budget for disasters.  It is actually silly to be required to retrieve data from one single location given the cloud.  I ought to be able to retrieve any dataset by title from potentially many different places and especially over a long weekend when the repo is down.

Turning to distributed repositories allow you to spread the cost and the risk AND improve the speed/availability. This is certainly more affordable to NASA and its international end-users/partners.

You get access to data faster.  It is cheaper to publish it.  Can we make it safer? (aka trusted).Answer is definitely yes.

Data can be accessed by content rather than by location.  The access url is a cryptographic hash based on the file content.  You know immediately if the file has been tempered with or not.  If you can download it simultaneously and successfully from many repos, you certainly can trust the data.

The other aspect of trust is reproduceability of the actionable information.  This requires linked [meta]-data with the data to allow you to have full access to the data sources in a similar manner (access by content).  You ought to be able to reproduce the product if you have access to the sources and the recipe.

Bonus: All this technology is available today open source as a foundation for a multi-billion dollar emerging industry.

This is actually called the Permanent Web.  Isn’t it something you would trust?

Biggest problem is not technical.

Pat Cappelaere
pat at cappelaere.com

Cell: 410 340 4868