[Esip-disasters] Disasters Lifecycle Cluster telecom Thursday July 2017: 7/6/17 at 4pm EDT/1pm PDT

Moe, Karen (GSFC-407.0)[EMERITUS] karen.moe at nasa.gov
Mon Jul 3 10:40:55 EDT 2017

Our next telecom will be devoted to discussing the upcoming ESIP Summer Meeting cluster sessions on July 28. Please note that remote participation will be available. In addition to the two sessions listed below, we will be doing some opportunistic brainstorming at the Summer Meeting on updating our poster describing our cluster’s objectives and activities; we propose to contribute to the poster session at the DRR Americas Summit in Buenos Aires the first week of September. Also, Kari Hicks and I will be presenting results of the 7/28 sessions to the All Hazards Consortium at their August 3 meeting in Washington DC.

I hope you can join us:

Disaster Lifecycle

July 6, 2017 @ 4:00 pm -  5:00 pm

https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/691265765

You can also dial in using your phone.

United States: +1 (872) 240-3311

Access Code: 691-265-765

Our Disasters cluster meeting notes on google docs here; please contribute:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IfFKkRf3pzJp2I7OpCHGcpLjrh7fJ3Q7xSuAOC-K2g8/edit

ESIP Summer Meeting 2017: Strengthening Ties Between Observations and User Communities

What Do We Mean by “Trusted” Data?
This interactive breakout session will build on initial work in the Disasters Lifecycle Cluster addressing Trusted Data concepts (derived from www.tdwi.org<http://www.tdwi.org/>). The goal is to develop a working definition of Trusted Data for data sets supporting disasters-related activities, however clarifying the characteristics and features will be relevant to other ESIP data domains. In recent work with the All Hazards Consortium on Data Driven Decision Making, our 3DM workshops, we see a need for a more precise definition of Trusted Data as we discover, test and validate data sets for operational use. We plan to leverage relevant lessons learned from disaster preparedness exercises such as Cascadia Rising, and experience with socio-economic data at CIESIN. We will also review complementary work on Operational Readiness Levels (ORLs) for maturing data sets through the ESIP Geo-Collaborate Testbed, with an end goal of validating or certifying resulting data sets as Trusted.

What’s the Right Data for this Use Case?
As part of the joint ESIP-All Hazards Consortium (AHC) Data Driven Decision Making (3DM) collaboration, the Disasters Lifecycle cluster is participating in an activity to develop use cases. The AHC group is looking to enhance disaster response decision making with better data. This breakout session will review and refine the process by which ESIP members analyze the AHC use cases to derive key information to identify relevant candidate data sets. We will look at what it will take to prepare and test data sets, and if determined to be useful, address how to make the data sets operational. We will review ongoing work on exercises, such as Cascadia Rising, as well as Operational Readiness Levels (ORLs) for maturing data sets through the ESIP Geo-Collaborate Testbed. Ideally we may develop a pathfinder data set to exercise the data use strategy.