[Esip-disasters] ESIP Disasters Cluster telecom Thursday 7/5/18 - 4:00pm ET / 1:00pm PT

Moe, Karen (GSFC-407.0)[EMERITUS] karen.moe at nasa.gov
Wed Jul 4 18:09:43 EDT 2018

Greetings!

Our July 5th conference call will review plans for the Disasters Cluster session on "Operational Readiness Levels: Establishing Trusted Data to Improve Situational Awareness" at the ESIP Summer Meeting on July 17.

Thursday, July 5
4:00pm
 Disaster Lifecycle
WhenThu, July 5, 4pm – 5pm
Wherehttps://www.gotomeeting.com/join/691265765 (map<https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gotomeeting.com%2Fjoin%2F691265765>)
DescriptionPlease join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone. https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/691265765 You can also dial in using your phone. United States: +1 (872) 240-3311 Access Code: 691-265-765

Please help us capture notes on our google docs page:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IfFKkRf3pzJp2I7OpCHGcpLjrh7fJ3Q7xSuAOC-K2g8/edit?usp=sharing

At our monthly telecom, we will discuss the proposed session topics which focuses on the ‘understanding gap’ between application data users and science data providers, and reflects the ESIP collaboration concepts developed with the All Hazards Consortium on SISE (Sensitive Information Sharing Environment). Kari Hick will join us again, participating remotely and would like our feedback on her approach. Kari’s subcommittee is focusing on how to implement ORL’s as is Dave’s work on displaying ORL’s in the SISE dashboard. I am also interested in discovering trust-worthy data to improve situational awareness, so do we have adequate criteria for the ORL assignments so far, that would enable science data providers to identify new data to support operational decision making?

Session topics for review:
* Discovery and access to EO data in support of disaster use cases via exercises
Review of the SISE process/use case form for finding and evaluating data products, Karen Moe; also potential update from Maggi Glasscoe on earthquake preparedness work with State of CA and criteria used to identify and communicate trusted data products

* SISE ORL model implementation approach and pilot
Review and demo of an open source (github) approach to assigning ORLs by Kari Hicks

* SISE dashboard presentation of ORLs
Discussion and demo of SISE strategy for communicating ORL assignments based on sector and users by Dave Jones

* Discussion on next steps for maturing the ORL concepts, and bridging the ‘understanding gap’ potential in EO data
-Are there additional ORL criteria for EO data that could benefit end users’ understanding for usability? Perhaps other sources of usability criteria (e.g., digital libraries, trusted repositories, standards groups, standard practices, etc.?) that would contribute to our Trusted Data goals?
-How might the Augmented Metadata concept contribute to ORL concepts, especially for additional end user applications?
-Can we identify candidate metadata that cuts across disasters or other applications?

* Potential 2018 AGU Fall Meeting paper/poster on Trusted Data for disasters applications and ORL concepts
Proposal submission deadline Wed Aug 1 midnight EDT

PA039: Leveraging Social Media, Crowdsourcing, Citizen Science, and

Emerging Technologies to Understand and Respond to Hazards and Disasters

Recent disasters like the 2017 hurricane season have led to increasing use of social media, crowdsourcing, citizen

science, and emerging technology for response efforts. There is growing interest in leveraging these emerging

participatory and innovative efforts because they can provide real-time situational awareness during a disaster and

contribute to an understanding of risk from a variety of hazards to inform response, recovery, mitigation, and

preparedness activities. Federal agencies and organizations are increasingly interested in leveraging social media and

crowdsourcing to obtain real-time updates and harness the power of the crowd. However, there are still misconceptions

and distrust in the reliability of crowdsourced data, and a lack of understanding on how to use social media for operational

purposes beyond just for mass communication and public outreach. This session solicits contributions on the use of

social media, crowdsourcing, citizen science, and emerging technology to understand and respond to hazards and

disasters.

Session Title: IN001. Accelerating scientific discovery through data, software, workflow, service, and repository evaluation
Session Description:
Science has a tradition of evaluating works being prepared for publication via the peer-review process. As scientific practices evolve, the next era of publication will also expose the data and computational workflows that underlie the published results. As such, various evaluation methods have emerged to assess their quality and maturity. Examples of these assessment methods are dataset and stewardship maturity matrices, software reuse readiness levels, technology readiness levels, standards for assessing repositories, and principles for ensuring that data are findable, accessible, interoperable, and reusable, i.e. FAIR compliant. Reporting on assessment activities within the Earth and space sciences will be informative and help identify similarities and differences among such efforts, enabling session participants to determine a set of recommended practices that can be applied to future evaluation efforts. This session includes presentations of current assessment efforts around data, software, computational workflows, services, and repositories.