[Esip-disasters] NSF workshop on "The Nexus of Climate Data, Insurance, and Adaptive Capacity", 8-9 Nov 2018, in Asheville NC

Brian Blanton bblanton at renci.org
Thu Oct 4 12:28:20 EDT 2018

Dear Earth Science Colleagues,

This is Brian Blanton, at UNC-Chapel Hill’s Renaissance Computing Institute.   I am writing to invite you to participate in an upcoming (8-9 Nov 2018, in Asheville NC) workshop on climate, insurance, and adaptive capacity.  The workshop is sponsored by NSF and insurance industry groups.

The main workshop goal is to facilitate a national-scale and interdisciplinary scientific research discussion on modeling and managing climate change risks between three different but related research communities:  the climate modeling and data community, statisticians, and researchers within the insurance and reinsurance industries.  We also hope to identify targets of opportunity for collaborations between climate scientists and the insurance/reinsurance/actuary communities.   The announcement is below, and attached is our advertisement brochure.   The website has more details and information: http://cees.wfu.edu/nexus/.

Please feel free to contact me (Brian_Blanton at Renci.Org<mailto:Brian_Blanton at Renci.Org>) or the workshop chair (Rob Erhardt at Wake Forest U, erhardrj at wfu.edu<mailto:erhardrj at wfu.edu>) for more information.  We would love to have ESIP participation and input, particularly from the disasters working group.

And please feel free to circulate to your colleagues!

Cheers,

[/Users/bblanton/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Outlook/Data/Library/Caches/Signatures/signature_1789566696]

Brian O. Blanton, Ph.D.
Director of Earth Data Sciences
Oceanographer
Renaissance Computing Institute
100 Europa Drive
Suite 540 Chapel Hill, NC, 27517

Brian_Blanton at Renci.Org<mailto:Brian_Blanton at Renci.Org>
919-445-9620 (O)

 "The Nexus of Climate Data, Insurance, and Adaptive Capacity"<http://cees.wfu.edu/nexus/>

8-9 November, 2018

@ The Collider in Asheville NC

This workshop (organized by the Statistics and Applied Mathematical Sciences Institute, Reinsurance Association of America, Renaissance Computing Institute, and Wake Forest University, with support from the NSF, Society of Actuaries and Casualty and Actuarial Society) will facilitate a national, interdisciplinary scientific research discussion on modeling and managing climate change risks between three different but related research communities: the climate modeling and data community, statisticians, and researchers within the insurance and reinsurance industries. This workshop will be aimed at active scientific researchers in each community, with the goals of: sharing perspectives, methods, and databases; defining gaps of existing research; and forming actionable research paths which can only be addressed by teams which are new, collaborative and interdisciplinary.

Invited speakers include: Deke Arndt (NCEI), Dan Cooley (Colorado State), Stephanie Herring (NOAA), Jeremy Hess (U-Washington), Jennifer Jurado (Broward County, FL), Lysa Porth (U-Manitoba), Doug Nychka (Colorado Mines), Raghuveer Vinukollu (Munich Re), and Roy Wright (IBHS).

Please feel free to contact me or Rob Erhardt (erhardrj at wfu.edu<mailto:erhardrj at wfu.edu>) with any questions.

http://cees.wfu.edu/nexus/