[Esip-disasters] Meet our new ESIP Fellow - Dec 3 telecom Thursday at 1:00pm PT/ 4:00pm ET

Karen Moe karen.moe at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 2 18:01:27 EST 2020

Hoping last week’s Thanksgiving holiday was a happy safe time for everyone. In early December, many people are also busily involved in the upcoming 2020 AGU meeting! The pace picks up this time of year so please note that we will hold our regular 1st Thursday meetings Dec 3 and on January 7, 2021. And following Megan’s advice, we plan to be a bit more organized this year placing more attention on the agenda for month meetings. Please see the Dec 3 agenda below.

I am very excited to announce that we will be joined by our new ESIP Community Fellow:

Qian Huang
PhD Student, Hazards & Vulnerability Research Institute
Research Assistant, Center for Rural & Primary Healthcare
Geography Graduate Student Association President
Department of Geography
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208

Dave and I met with Qian in mid Nov and we are all looking forward to a productive year. As you can see in her PhD program that Qian’s academic interests align with the challenges that the ESIP Disasters Lifecycle cluster has embraced — making geospatial data matter to decision makers working to save lives and property. And Qian has a background in communications, which is essential in evaluating the usefulness of data products and services, which is key to the ORL.

Cheers,
Karen

Thursday, December 3
4:00pm

Disaster Lifecycle
When
Thu, December 3, 4pm – 5pm
Where
https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/691265765 (map <https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gotomeeting.com%2Fjoin%2F691265765>)
Description
https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/691265765

You can also dial in using your phone.

United States: +1 (872) 240-3311

Access Code: 691-265-765

Please visit our google docs website:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IfFKkRf3pzJp2I7OpCHGcpLjrh7fJ3Q7xSuAOC-K2g8/edit# <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IfFKkRf3pzJp2I7OpCHGcpLjrh7fJ3Q7xSuAOC-K2g8/edit#>

Disasters Lifecycle Cluster Meeting Agenda - December 3, 2020

Welcome & Announcements
Invite participants to share announcements/news
Introductions all around (if a new person is there) (short)
Review agenda - invite others to add to it.
What we want to achieve on this call
Introduce our new ESIP Fellow Qian Huang
Introduce new meeting format
Update on ESIP Winter Meeting
ESIP-wide announcements
Brief Updates/Few Words about disasters since last call
Reminder of the cluster’s broader goals and relevance to recent disasters
Reminder of what happened at last telecon
Invited Cluster Update (5 min)
Other Updates
Other relevant collaboration area activities
Air Quality
Ag & Climate
Public-Private Partnerships
Community Data
Others….
New data? New projects to be aware of or test out? (running google spreadsheet?)
Closing Round - any last thoughts, reminder of upcoming meeting/activities

Please register for the ESIP Winter Meeting:
http://www.cvent.com/events/2021-esip-winter-meeting/event-summary-045addff5ce54a0fbd99e82c0781f6ff.aspx <http://www.cvent.com/events/2021-esip-winter-meeting/event-summary-045addff5ce54a0fbd99e82c0781f6ff.aspx>

2021 ESIP Winter Meeting Session date: January 29, 2021

California experienced its largest wildfire season on record with a single wildfire burning more than 1 million acres. Data has been crucial to inform decision makers and innovation is being applied. This session will dive into the public-private benefits of putting trusted data to work as we tie into the ESIP theme of ‘Leading Innovation in Earth Science Frontiers’. The California Wildfires of 2020 demonstrated that disasters can be on-going and multi-dimensional with COVID-19, evacuations, and destroyed towns. We will discuss key trusted data needs and identify additional opportunities for data applications in support of life saving operations. How can coordination and data sharing accelerate public-private situational awareness and decision making? Are there steps that agencies could take to successfully share their data with decision makers and the public?

Possible Speakers:

Ted Kaouk, U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Chief Data Officer, has been selected chair of the federal Chief Data Officers (CDO) Council.
Isaac Cabrera, CIO State of California [tentatively confirmed]
Dr. Ravan Ahmadov, NOAA ESRL HRRR Smoke Model Scientist (Operational by Jan?)
Dr. Dennis Staley, USGS Hazards Program, Research Physical Scientist
Sam Batzli, Univ of Wisconsin-CIMSS, GOES-POES Satellite derived
Maggi Glasscoe, JPL [confirmed]