[Esip-disasters] ESIP Summer Meeting - Disasters cluster session 7/19 update

Karen Moe karen.moe at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 29 09:24:49 EDT 2021

Just a note that Dave, Qian and I have been refining the ESIP Summer meeting Disasters cluster session (Monday July 19 at 1:30 pm eastern) that you can see at our google docs page or on SCHED. Early registration is through June 30 for the virtual meeting so please register. This is the topic for the this week’s July 1st Disasters cluster call.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IfFKkRf3pzJp2I7OpCHGcpLjrh7fJ3Q7xSuAOC-K2g8/edit#heading=h.7nie1o69do2 <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IfFKkRf3pzJp2I7OpCHGcpLjrh7fJ3Q7xSuAOC-K2g8/edit#heading=h.7nie1o69do2>

Delivering Trusted Data to Real Users and Decision Makers

Since the ESIP Winter meeting the Disaster Lifecycle Cluster has further evolved its approach to Leading Innovation in Earth Science Data Frontiers to put more Earth science data to work in decision making environments. The ‘ecosystem of innovation’ places ESIP clusters on the pathway of user engagement through real-time collaboration and an expanding user base. This session looks to attract all ESIP Clusters who have a mission to put more data, processes, analytics and/or machine learning to work, add ORL ranking to their data to serve decision makers through improved data quality, data processing and data use.

Our session will show examples of incorporating data to support recovery efforts to ‘get back to business’ after disaster hits. A specific need is for tree canopy data to aid utility operators and enable them to assess the risk of power line breaks due to an approaching storm. We encourage participants to join the Disasters cluster to mature their products or services through the ecosystem of innovation for evaluation by end users such as the All Hazards Consortium and others.

This session will identify how the ecosystem of innovation works and how ESIP clusters can plug into this process by introducing their products, services and methods into the pathway for real users and decision makers to experience. To prepare for the session please consider what products you may have that could be valuable to the disasters community.