[Esip-discovery] Impact of Discovery services

Hua, Hook (388C) hook.hua at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 9 12:41:22 EST 2011

Hi Chris,

Some of the intent behind assessing improvements due to Discovery services was from our recent discussions in the ESDSWG and ESIP telecons on knowing what's being implement in the community and how it has eased the data discovery and access process.

One example could be what GSFC and JPL did by connecting GES DISC Mirador's variable drill-down OpenSearch client capability with the WSNEWS OpenSearch services. For JPL, it expanded the capability of drilling into the data records. For GSFC, it broadened the available data records it is searching on. A more quantifiable interpretation of improvement would be to see if more data and/or users are being served after deploying Discovery services/clients.

Another similar example is the OpenSearch link between GES DISC and ECHO.

It would be interesting to see the improvements due to DataCasting and ServiceCasting.

--Hook