[Esip-discovery] Impact of Discovery services

Hua, Hook (388C) hook.hua at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Mar 14 18:50:02 EDT 2011

Thanks Ken!

Would you be willing to add ITSC to the Discovery listing of services and clients?
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Discovery_OpenSearch_Services
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Discovery_Clients

--Hook

________________________________
From: Ken Keiser <keiserk at uah.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 06:58:53 -0700
To: "Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102)" <christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov>
Cc: Hook Hua <hook.hua at jpl.nasa.gov>, <esip-discovery at lists.esipfed.org>, Manil Maskey <mmaskey at itsc.uah.edu>, Helen Conover <hconover at itsc.uah.edu>
Subject: Re: [Esip-discovery] Impact of Discovery services

Sorry to be late to the discussion, but have been out of pocket.

A few things to list for UAH/ITSC/GHRC participation with Discovery services

(1) server - GHRC supports OpenSearch access
(2) client - GHRC has developed a satellite coincident search service that utilizes ECHO OpenSearch services
(3) client - ITSC has prototyped an event-based data ordering system that also utilizes the ECHO OpenSearch services
(4) Tool (client?) - ITSC in collaboration with JPL and (now) ORNL is developing tools for the generation and publishing of infocasts (services, data, etc.)
(5) server - ITSC is providing an aggregation tool for data casts, specifically casts pointing to KML-wrapped data granules to be used for integrated visualization applications
(6) clients - a number of applications that utilize the data cast aggregations for visualization of data granules.

Ken

On Mar 9, 2011, at 6:58 AM, Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2011, at 2:50 PM, Hua, Hook (388C) wrote:
>
>> It would be useful to eventually get an assessment of the impact of
>> Discovery services to the community. More specifically, to be able to answer
>> these two questions:
>> (1) Where Discovery services have been implemented and deployed?
>
> Also, we should distinguish between server and client implementations.  Here at GES DISC, we have implemented:
> (1) server - Mirador
> (2) client - Mirador cross-data center search
> (3) client - Giovanni
> (4) client - Simple Subset Wizard
>
>> (2) Have there been any improvements to data and service discovery/access?
>
> Not sure what to put for this--can you provide an example or two?
>

>> We could get a good start on (1). Some wiki pages were setup with listings
>> of Discovery services and clients. Some people have already begun submitting
>> entries. But we want to invite more to submit your deployed or
>> in-development Discovery services/clients. These are not meant as an
>> official registry, but rather meant to give ourselves a better understanding
>> of who has or is implementing what.
>>
>> http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Discovery_OpenSearch_Services
>> http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Discovery_DataCasting_Services
>> http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Discovery_ServiceCasting_Services
>> http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Discovery_Clients
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Hook

> Christopher Lynnes
> Goddard Earth Sciences Data and Information Center, NASA/GSFC
> 301-614-5185

Information Technology and Systems Center
University of Alabama in Huntsville
email: keiserk at uah.edu
phone: 256-824-6825