[Esip-discovery] Orbit Metadata in OpenSearch Metadata

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Fri Mar 18 11:47:39 EDT 2011

On Mar 18, 2011, at 11:30 AM, Cechini, Matthew F. (GSFC-423.0)[RAYTHEON COMPANY] wrote:

> Chris,
>  I'm not sure I understand the tactic of delegating granule-level
> searches back to mirador.  The ability to support spatial searches against
> orbital granules, at least for us, is a separate issue than presenting one
> or more rectangles in a response object specifying a granule's orbital
> spatial coverage.  On our end, we could compute (or pre-compute) the
> bounding boxes which cover an orbital granule and make it available for
> the response object.
>  In light of the current proposed response format, the response object
> should specify the MBR for a granule.  Should we assume that  multiple
> <georss:box> elements in a response object, combined together, represent
> the minimum bounding area?  Do we think there is value in providing the
> original orbit information in the response?  I'm leaning towards "not at
> this time" since we want to keep the spec simple.  For us, we should look
> into calculating the MBR(s) for orbital granules and including those in
> the response object.

I think extra orbital data is going to be of minimal use, as it only works in more specific contexts like NOSE specifications.  If you can compute the set of rectangles, or perhaps a polygon, that would be much more useful and you don't need to delegate the search.  I mostly wanted to bring that up to break our preconceived notions that all steps of a recursive OpenSearch search scenario must necessarily be within a single server or organization.  For example, I have been hinting to Lola Olsen that I would like to register OSDDs in GCMD for each dataset, and have GCMD provide the first (dataset) layer of search, delegating the granule level to us for our datasets.

--
Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185