[Esip-discovery] Datacasting custom elements proposal

Mccleese, Sean W (388A) sean.w.mccleese at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Mar 19 04:57:24 EDT 2011

Chris,

No problem! A great sample case is illustrated in one of the live Datacasting RSS feeds that has been implemented at PO.DAAC for GHRSST AMSR-E (http://ghrsst.jpl.nasa.gov/datacasting/AMSRE-L2P-gen.xml).

Basically, the example problem scenario is: PO.DAAC is casting out data granules for GHRSST AMSR-E. And, obviously, these data granules  have metadata that is specific to that particular platform such as, for example, "Max. deviation from previous day SST". PO.DAAC defines this metadata within the RSS channel items in the following way:

<datacasting:customEltDef units="Kelvin" displayName="Max. deviation from previous day SST" type="float" name="MaxDT_Analysis"/>

and then, in the GHRSST AMSR-E feed, it's used in an item as follows:

<datacasting:customElement name="MinDT_Analysis" value="0.00000"/>

This enables a Feed Reader to parse the "MaxDT_Analysis" tag with knowledge of the data type (floating point, in this case) as well as present some information to the user about the physical quantity being measured. In the GHRSST AMSR-E feed, this is done along with 10 or so other "custom metadata elements".

So the situation I'm proposing is one where each data provider may have metadata that is specific to the particular granules or data feeds they are casting out which are not known ahead of time by the particular Feed Reader or by ESIP. One can even envision a situation where Datacasting feeds are generated automatically as responses from OpenSearch or whatever and, in that case, the custom metadata may be specific to that particular query (though I would note this has never been implemented).

I do not think this *has* to be limited to datacasting, though for now I am only proposing it as a datacasting standard simply because that's how we've implemented it up until now.