[Esip-discovery] ESIP Discovery Cluster Telecon, Tuesday, Aug. 9 @ 4:00 ET / 3:00 CT / 2:00 MT / 1:00 PT

Hua, Hook (388C) hook.hua at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 10 00:43:36 EDT 2011

Hi James,

For Approach #5, we never really discussed what the exact attribute name would be. We only floated the methodology of using a new namespaced attribute.

Eric's posting here has a good pros/cons:
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Talk:Discovery_Change_Proposal-2

The difficulty is in how to achieve compliance with RFC 4287 Atom while supporting both "general" (e.g. data link) and "specific" (e.g. OPeNDAP 3.3) relations types in the links.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4287#section-4.2.7
Nothing for "specific" fits with in the current RFC spec. Thus the idea for approach #3 using fragments in URIs was also discussed.

Approach #1 would work with on general relation type if we treat it like a taxonomy of more specific subclasses of relations. But then we would have to maintain and reference an external taxonomy or ontology. If we are heading towards semantics anyways, then it may not be such a bad approach...

Also, is anyone familiar enough with OGC OpenSearch on if and how it may be dealing with this type of issue. Perhaps there should be some convergence in the future.

--Hook