[Esip-discovery] Relating services to datasets served. Draft material for a DCP-3

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Tue Sep 6 12:40:25 EDT 2011

On Sep 6, 2011, at 12:30 PM, Stephen Richard wrote:

> Brian, Hua--
> Based on the discussion from last week, I spent some time researching this
> issue in the context of some other projects I've been following or involved
> in  (OWS context Standards Working Group, energy industry ISO19115 metadata
> profile, and USGS CGI Web Application Integration Framework group). I would
> like to see this considered in a larger context to come up with a solution
> that can be used in these various contexts, because it's essentially the
> same problem.
> Brian came up with a 3-attribute solution, but I think there are 4 important
> facets. Here' s the gist of the proposal:
>
> href	the link URL
> type	MIME type of response. Specifies encoding and optionally the native
> software application environment
> rel	URI from IANA rel vocabulary for consistency with IETF5988
> title	free text to label link in GUI
> esip:protocol	ftp, http, other. Default is http if attribute not specified

I think we were looking for something a bit more specific here, like "DAP" or "WMS".  ftp and http are unnecessary to specify, because they are in the href itself.  Though if we use serviceType, then perhaps we do not esip:protocol at all.

--
Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185