[Esip-discovery] [Esip-earthcollaboratory] added a section for people to "sign" the white paper

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Mon Oct 10 15:01:17 EDT 2011

On 10 Oct 2011, at 12:54 PM, Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2011, at 6:45 PM, Mark A. Parsons wrote:
>
>> Finally, I changed things to Earth *System* Science Collaboratory, because I thought that is what we agreed at the Summer Meeting. Let me know if I'm overreaching.
>
> I don't remember actually changing the name, rather that Earth System Science was a significant driver for the need. However, "small", specialized/focused science can be equally facilitated by a collaboratory, so I would vote for keeping the name as Earth Science Collaboratory.

I'm not particularly bothered one way or tother as long as folks like ecologists and social scientists examining impacts of Earth system change also feel part of the collaboratory. To me the systemic understanding is what's transformative and is enabled through better collaboration, interoperability, infrastructure, etc.

Cheers,

-m.