[Esip-discovery] summary of OGC meeting

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Tue Dec 13 16:38:41 EST 2011

Well, my note-taking deteriorated halfway in, so I'm going to try to just summarize the key points of difficulty:

(1) The addition of namespace-specific attributes (e.g., esip:subrel) is problematic because mass-market tools (e.g., Firefox, OpenLayers) will not understand them and have little motivation for changing to understand them.

(2) If we confine ourselves to the IANA names, then data service protocols like OPeNDAP present a problem because they can present the data in a number of forms. This leaves only the mime-type to work with as a standard attribute.

(3) There may be some way of working out these options at the <entry> level, but we need an example to demonstrate how this might be done.

(4) Alternatively, perhaps we could put enough information in the mime-type using the '+'.  Following the Open Search Description Document, which is "application/opensearchdescription+xml", we would have, e.g., "application/opendap+x-netcdf".

(5) Does anyone else have any other ideas?
--
Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185