[Esip-discovery] Faceting and Custom Fields Discussion at ESIP Winter Meeting

Eric Rozell rozele at rpi.edu
Tue Dec 13 19:59:43 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

A brief discussion came up at the telecon today about faceting and custom fields in ESIP Discovery services.  This would be an interesting topic for me and I assume some others at the Winter Meeting.

Here is what I gathered as the "alternatives" that are out there for faceting and custom fields:
• Ruth Duerr has investigated a "valid parameter values" method at NSIDC
• Jeff McWhirter has developed a framework for handling custom search fields
• Brian Wilson has worked with Solr services for faceting
• Eric Rozell (me) has developed a framework for faceted user interfaces
• OpenSearch SRU (search/retrieve via URL) extension has some built in options for faceting

I'd be happy to help organize, whether its getting information from the above individuals and presenting it, or having each individual present a few slides.  I think the former would be more streamlined.  I'd like to hear what people think about this.  I know the Thursday Workshop Session is pretty booked up, but this may be a good topic for a say 15-20 min presentation in the Friday Planning Session.

--Eric