[Esip-discovery] Discovery Change Proposal 7: Error Handling Best Practices for Discovery Repsonse
Hua, Hook (388C)
hook.hua at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 13 15:57:30 EDT 2012
A more refined DCP-7 is posted for more interoperable error handling.
Current implementations of ESIP Discovery services (OpenSearch, DataCast,
and ServiceCast) have varying error handling behavior in the http
response. Since these micro-standards mostly refer the request/response
format, little has been said about the response format when an error is
There is little interoperability in error response handling of these
services. We want to promote a consistent approach to handling errors.
Use case examples for error handling:
* A request with a custom parameter that is not recognized.
* An OpenSearch request for a dataset that does not exist. This case is
different from granule-level search with 0 results.
* A request with an invalid date time entered.
(1) Adopt the W3C HTTP/1.1 Status Code
(2) Handling zero results
(3) Custom error message handling
Will discuss at today's telecon.
More information about the Esip-discovery