[Esip-discovery] Search as a Service

Hua, Hook (388C) hook.hua at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 26 13:39:06 EDT 2012

>From the makers of OpenSearch...

Last week, Amazon's A9 search capability was released as cloud service,
CloudSearch [1], where one can upload our files to be indexed by their
service for a scalable discovery mechanism. The usual faceted search and
ranking are supported. More useful article here [2].

I suppose this was inevitable.

It would be interesting to see what impact this may have on Discovery and
Earth Science Collaboratory. For Earth science data, which is larger than
the normal use cases CloudSearch is targeting, it may become impractical
to upload all of our high volume data records. So they do support indexing
a user-provided Search Data Format (SDF) JSON document instead. Since
CloudSearch also integrates with Amazon's S3 storage, it does gel well
with the idea of putting all of our data into the cloud.

--Hook

[1] http://aws.amazon.com/cloudsearch/
[2] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/12/amazon_aws_cloudsearch/