[Esip-discovery] DCP-5

Ian Truslove ian.truslove at nsidc.org
Tue May 15 18:36:23 EDT 2012

>I love the pattern expression idea, but there is a lot of variation
>amongst "flavors" as to exactly which regex components are supported. See
>the table at: http://www.regular-expressions.info/refflavors.html

Good catch, and that looks like a good reference.

>So, we should standardize on which flavor as well. Perhaps the same as
>what HTML 5 is using? (What are they using?)

Looks like HTML5 uses the ECMAScript flavor
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/common-input-element-attributes.html#the-patter
n-attribute and
http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/Ecma-262.pdf).
  The ECMAScript flavor looks like a subset of both the Java and .NET
flavors, so any server implementations on those stacks should be able to
support all the valid ECMAScript-compatible regexes.  That sounds like a
good choice to me.

tl;dr: Yes, let's use the ECMAScript regular expression syntax as the
'flavor' of regex to use.

Ian.