[Esip-discovery] Developing the "ESIP API"

Hua, Hook (388C) hook.hua at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 20 16:50:32 EDT 2012

I think it depends on the goals of the ESIP Discovery and ESC clusters.

An ESIP data API would be considered a software stack. It's been said that
it is better to develop conventions/specifications/best practices over
software stacks. The software stacks and APIs tie us down to an
implementation.

However, it be may good to promote the conventions/specifications/best
practices instead, and by the way, provide reference implementations. This
way, the community is more focused on the interface and not locked down to
implementation. Program to interfaces and not to APIs as they say.

Perhaps we are talking about the same thing where the ESIP data API is a
reference implementation of existing specifications?

--Hook

Are we in the business of developing so