[Esip-discovery] Reminder: ESIP Discovery Telecon Tuesday, December 11 at 4:00 ET / 3:00 CT / 2:00 MT / 1:00 PT

Mattmann, Chris A (388J) chris.a.mattmann at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Dec 13 15:29:14 EST 2012

+1 to Erin's comments...

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 13, 2012, at 12:17 PM, "Erin Robinson" <erinrobinson at esipfed.org<mailto:erinrobinson at esipfed.org>> wrote:

As it stands right now, things that are registered in the ESIP Commons are done under CC 0 License meaning they are free for use, remix and repurpose (I just gave a talk last night on this, so it's fresh) as long as attribution is given.  This means that an agency like NASA can take the document cite that it came from ESIP, modify, if needed, to fit NASA - SPG specific needs. At this point, the evolution of the doc may fork and that is ok, by collaborating up front and creating a doc with larger than NASA buy-in to begin with, NASA has saved $$ having to work through this alone.

There would be some overhead if the agency decides to keep up with ESIP modifications/updates, but I'd still argue the expense of maintaining a current version is much less then having to come up with the content internally from scratch and then ensure it's viable/in synch with larger community (an example would be working with Drupal vs. building your own CMS and hoping it works...)

Just my 2 cents.