[Esip-discovery] proposed mods for collection-level responses

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Mon Feb 11 08:09:22 EST 2013

On Feb 10, 2013, at 5:16 PM, Steve Richard <steve.richard at azgs.az.gov> wrote:

> I like the idea of IANA registration as well.
> The current RFC for media type specification and registration procedures is http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6838.
>
> Looks like the 'application/vnd.' tree makes sense. For the THREDDS, OpenDAP, NetCDF world, is  Unidata the producer, or is the THREDDS server the producer?
> application/vnd.unidata or application/vnd.thredds
>
> then it gets interesting. OpenDAP is a protocol,

OPeNDAP is a bit ambiguous.  Technically, it stands for Open Source Project for a Network Data Access Protocol, but colloquially is used to refer to the protocol.  However, the protocol is often just called DAP.  So we have some flexibility here here.  Looking for a suggestion from the opendap.org and Unidata folks on these...

> THREDDS is a server implementation,
> NetCDF is a file format. (well, sort of …)  Which part of this is the media type?  I copied the rfc6838 authors on this to see if they have any suggestions.
>
> From
> http://docs.opendap.org/index.php/DAP4_Web_Services_v3
> "The Data Service provides DAP4 data access to a dataset, and is the (primary) way that DAP4 returns data to a client. The Data service accepts a query string (constraint expression) which allows you to subset the data and invoke server side functions. When the service is invoked it returns the DAP4 data object. On the wire this is a binary document with MIME type application/vnd.opendap.org.dap4.data."

This may point the way to our naming for OPeNDAP directories, perhaps application/vnd.opendap.org.dap4.directory.

Kinda long to return for every link of that type...