[Esip-discovery] Standard metadata in collectioncasts

Ruth Duerr rduerratnsidc at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 18:11:50 EST 2013

Hi Eric,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.  It turns out that there isn't any accessible documentation about any of the services that we don't advertise, so I can't directly answer your question.  However, all the public API's are documented at nsidc.org/api, though the OpenSearch documents are in the process of being updated so may not be perfectly correct at the moment.  That being said, the normal route people are supposed to use is to do either subscribe to the NSIDC collection cast feed and notice that an ad for a collection might meet their needs and notice that it has an OpenSearch granule level query.  Then they would access the description document for that lower level service (the link is in the cast and OpenSearch return entry), which defines all the query parameters including things like the "ascending" / "descending" terms described below, to formulate the appropriate granule level OpenSearch queries.  If you know the instrument id, you can also do an OpenSearch query against that instrument to return a list of "granules" that meet the query.  (and of course all of this can be done by machines too, in fact our IceBridge portal does just that).

I note that an undocumented feature is that if instead of invoking the above services you invoke a service of the form http://nsidc.org/api/opensearch/1.1/dataset/<DATASETID>/measurement/ you will get a listing of the measurements (e.g., try http://nsidc.org/api/opensearch/1.1/dataset/NSIDC-0342/measurement/).

Hope that is at least moderately helpful,

Ruth