[Esip-discovery] This has some interesting points to make in both the Discovery area and the Earth Science Collaboratory area (e.g., importance of stories)

Steve Richard steve.richard at azgs.az.gov
Wed Apr 3 10:55:40 EDT 2013

Looks to me like this is HATEOS (google it
<https://www.google.com/search?q=HATEOS> ., but I recommend starting with
http://roy.gbiv.com/untangled/2008/rest-apis-must-be-hypertext-driven ) in
action, and the key element is the machine-actionable links, how behavior is
described in a standardized manner that machines can use. Esip-discovery has
touched on this a little in the discussions around how to use ATOM links to
guide applications interested in OpenDAP data access.

I've been working on a white paper on a more generalized approach to the
issue, and perhaps we could evolve this into an ESIP proposal for a
hypermedia format that we could register as a MIME type.

The current draft of the white paper is at
https://github.com/usgin/usginspecs/blob/master/MetadataAsHypermediaApp.docx

steve

Stephen M Richard

Arizona Geological Survey

416 W. congress #100

Tucson, AZ

AZGS: 520-770-3500

Office: 520-209-4127

FAX: 520-770-3505

the Discovery area and the Earth Science Collaboratory area (e.g.,
importance of stories)

See also http://www.slideshare.net/cappelaere for some similar
presentations...

Begin forwarded message: