[Esip-discovery] recursion picture

Ruth Ellen Duerr rduerr at Colorado.EDU
Wed Apr 10 13:22:39 EDT 2013

I think this looks great! - Ruth

On Apr 10, 2013, at 11:01 AM, "Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102)" <christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov<mailto:christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov>> wrote:

New version:

<Slide1.png>

On Apr 10, 2013, at 12:33 PM, "Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102)" <christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov<mailto:christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov>> wrote:

On Apr 10, 2013, at 12:18 PM, Ruth Ellen Duerr <rduerr at Colorado.EDU<mailto:rduerr at Colorado.EDU>> wrote:

Hi Chris,

I think the diagram helps show that there can be actually many levels of OpenSearch, so from that sense it is a good addition.  I don't understand the top arrow from the Search Provider Directory OSDD to the Query for Search Providers however.  It isn't clear what that is for.

OK, I'll take that part out.

I also admit that from an esthetic standpoint having the text of the fragment of the results overlaying the return line is a bit distracting/confusing, though I think necessary given the content (i.e., to show the different types and levels of return entries).

Let me see if I can work on the aesthetic aspect.

I note that we've begun extending this whole OpenSearch thing in even further directions.  For example, one of the types of things that we return in an entry is a set of OSDD pointers to related data sets.  This can happen at either the data set level or the granule level.  While we don't use that precisely like the following, it is sort of a concept reminiscent of the Amazon "if you liked this, you might like that" links…

Ruth

Yes, another way of using the same concept:  horizontal recursion rather than vertical recursion.