[Esip-discovery] This has some interesting points to make in both the Discovery area and the Earth Science Collaboratory area (e.g., importance of stories)

Steve Richard steve.richard at azgs.az.gov
Thu Apr 11 01:34:49 EDT 2013

Ruth-

In many ways I think this is a generalization of what's in DCP-8. There's a
general problem of how to characterize how links for data access or
processing work so that machines can use them. The goal would be to agree on
the conceptual model for properties that can characterize a wide spectrum of
linking scenarios, and some key vocabularies for these properties (URIS for
service types, functions, MIME types, rel types that aren't already
registered). This would provide the basis for interoperable implementations
for metadata/discovery type applications, concept (vocabulary) referencing,
work flow persistence/reproducibility, recording contexts/common operating
pictures, and the whole spectrum of HATEOAS/REST applications.

The next step would be to work on filling out all the empty examples at the
end of the paper-describing lots actual data access/linking scenarios to
test the proposed link property model and scope the required vocabularies.

steve

Stephen M Richard

Arizona Geological Survey

416 W. congress #100