[Esip-discovery] What's next for ESIP Discovery?

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Fri Oct 25 14:38:38 EDT 2013

It's actually been a pretty eventful year:  we submitted an RFC tying together our guidelines, and also saw a CEOS group spin up to consider an OpenSearch-based framework, based on OGC, ESA and ESIP frameworks, which is also tying into the CWIC development.

However, because of these efforts, and especially my time expenditures in them, and the furlough, the Discovery cluster activities have petered out toward the end of this year.

I think we could use some fresh leadership. I know several of you have ideas of what we should tackle next, but may balk at the idea of committing to herd cluster cats for an entire year.

So I would like to suggest an alternate way of working:  that we work instead in focussed 3- or 4-month segments, on a single topic per segment, and with the champion for that topic leading during that period (only).  Erin has kindly offered to help some with the basic logistics (setting up telecons, sending reminders), so the main thing is simply providing the *impetus* to maintain forward movement.  I think we can mitigate burnout and obtain more finality on our output using this means.

What do you all think?  Any takers?

If the general idea looks good, we could have a Discovery planning meeting at the ESIP Meeting in January to work out the details.
--
Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185