[Esip-discovery] Proposed AGU session (deadline April 19)

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-5860) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Tue Apr 11 16:46:17 EDT 2017

I’d like to propose the following session.  Please let me know if you want to co-convene, and if you have any suggestions for modifying the session abstract:

Alternate Pathways for Discovery of Earth Science Research Data

For research data to be of practical use in broader applications and communities, it must be discoverable in a way that makes sense to those communities. Common commercial search engines treat datasets like, and with, documents and web pages, often with counterintuitive results.  However, there is more than one way to guide a prospective data user who is looking to reuse research data.  For example, discovery pathways may also begin from the perspective of the physical phenomena in question; from science research articles describing or using the data; from narratives in which the data feature; or from data visualizations.  This session will look at the variety of entry points for finding research data.
—
Christopher Lynnes   NASA/GSFC    301-614-5185
""The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." - Wm. Gibson