[Esip-discovery] [EXTERNAL] use case collection form

Brian Wee bwee at massiveconnections.com
Wed May 6 18:33:18 EDT 2020

Hi,

>    1. Who am I? – I’m a state highways engineer
>    2. What am I trying to do?  Predict where I’m most likely to have
>    landslides in the next month.
>    3. What do I want/need? – I want rainfall data for the last 3 months
>    over my state. And some soil moisture wouldn’t go amiss.
>    4. How do you solve this problem now? – I surf around a bunch of
>    landslide portals, trying to suss out what kind of rainfall datasets they
>    use.
>    5. What would the Easy Button for this look like? – I go to a single
>    applications portal, click on “Data for Landslide Prediction” and get a
>    list of all the datasets used by a variety of landslide models and other
>    applications.
>
> I signed up for the discovery cluster listserv after the collab
highlights, and missed the above until Jonathan's email today.  Bill Teng,
Arif Albayrak, and I have started down the path of crafting a use-case
around the federal Burned Area Emergency Response (BAER) protocol, which
(depending on which agency you're from) requires a rapid assessment of the
hazards arising from wildfires once the fire is out.  Hazards include
debris flow from heavy precip after the fire.  The BAER action requires
interagency (fed, state, local) teams to quickly assess the burn
characteristics and assess whether disaster mitigation preventive actions
(e.g. building berms to slow erosion) are required after a fire.  I can
imagine your (Chris) highways engineer being a member of the BAER team.

The BAER use-case is not yet complete, but we have another use-case on
Community Wildfire Protection Plans (CWPP: linked to federal and in some
cases state law) that can be traced to landsat data
<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Tracing_how_Landsat_data_helps_foster_fire-adapted_communities_in_Colorado_through_data-driven,_science-informed_planning.>.
(Tip: when you see this symbol [image: image.png], clicking on it takes you
to a lower level concept map, some of which contain nodes and relationships
that are annotated with terms from existing ontologies: for possible
machine inferencing later).  The traceability for this use-case is
"shallow", as is: details are lacking on the exact types of landsat data
products that the USGS EROS LP DAAC uses to compute its products that in
turn get ingested by CO-WRAP (a Colorado web portal that can be used for
CWPP generation).   But the traceability between landsat and CO-WRAP is
there.  We know of at least one Colorado community (near the Colorado
counties of Montezuma and La Plata) who has CO-WRAP to generate their CWPP,
so that use case completes the traceability to back to landsat data.  Once
we get a rough BAER use-case (which will necessarily have to be traceable
to data and models), we'll probably return to the CWPP one to create
linkages between those two use cases because some of the BAER response
actions are really mitigation which may really just be useful pre-wildfire
if there's enough money floating around for disaster
mitigation/prevention.  If.

There're places in either use-cases above to do stuff that folks are
interested in, so feel free to hop on.  Here's the bigger picture of where
all these concept maps fall into the scheme of the Resilience Genome thing
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xhWIAL7N6Y9fZy21IhwY64qMTZjNlgB5/view?usp=sharing>
that Jonathan pointed out.

- BW