[Esip-discovery] ESIP discovery session at Summer Meeting

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-5860) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Mon Apr 5 13:59:15 EDT 2021

Dear Discovery Clusterers,

As we have been continuing along our development of the Usage-based Discovery tool, the main challenge looks to be populating it with content, i.e., usage-dataset relationships.  So far, folks that I have talked to about this are divided on whether crowdsourcing or machine-learning is the best way to detect relationships. But even in the ML case, we will likely need substantial number of human-labeled relationships to train on.

So I was wondering if it would make sense to have a live curation session at the ESIP Summer meeting, i.e., similar to last year’s hackathon, but focusing on the Foraging aspect. We could break up into teams, perhaps centered around different themes (Team Fire, Team Ice, Team Flood…) and provide each team with an expert guide to demonstrate/model foraging techniques and review results.  We would do it live (in breakout rooms?), sharing individual results with our team, while chatting about what techniques are working and which ones aren’t.

We might even want to think about gamifying it, in the sense of showing team progress on a leaderboard of all the teams, or distributing badges, or something…I dunno, something not too hokey, but still engaging?

What do you all think?
--
Christopher Lynnes   NASA/GSFC    mobile: 410-231-4573
“I love it when a plan comes together.” — Hannibal Smith