[Esip-documentation] ACDD questions

Nan Galbraith ngalbraith at whoi.edu
Tue Apr 23 11:10:01 EDT 2013

Hi Ted -

If the goal of this sub-group is to make ACDD more useful to a
wide variety of users, we can and should do it in an implementation-
agnostic way, by agreeing on a set of useful discovery terms and
their meanings.  Mapping these to ISO and/or OGC structures and
providing implementation examples in HDF and NetCDF (3 and 4) will
make this standard more useful. Is that what you mean by 'patching
a few symptoms' ?

We have an offer on the table to provide the first draft of definitions,
and that seems like a logical starting point.

Cheers - Nan

On 4/22/13 5:17 PM, Ted Habermann wrote:
> Nan et al.,
>
> Most of these concerns are discussed at
> http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/NetCDF,_HDF,_and_ISO_Metadata along
> with more general solutions. IMHO, we should go after real cures
> rather than patching a few symptoms...
>
> Ted
>

> On Apr 22, 2013, at 3:37 PM, Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith at whoi.edu
> <mailto:ngalbraith at whoi.edu>> wrote:
>
>> On 4/19/13 8:15 PM, John Graybeal wrote:
>>> As I had a fair number of comments on the last set of definitions, I
>>> volunteer to produce a first revision (for discussion of course!) of
>>> any term definitions you want me to.
>> That's great. It might be a good idea to cross check against the
>> definitions
>> that NODC has added -  as part of their NetCDF template project they
>> wrote
>> some better descriptions. They're at
>> nodc.noaa.gov/data/formats/netcdf/
>> <http://nodc.noaa.gov/data/formats/netcdf/>
>>
>> There are a few categories of terms that need better definitions, IMHO.
>>
>> 1. people:
>> creator_name (recommended)
>> publisher_name (suggested)
>>
>> In a 'normal' research/observing/modeling situation, who are these
>> people?
>>
>> I think there are 2 necessary points of contact, the person who 'owns'
>> the research and gives you the go-ahead to use/publish the data, and
>> the person who put the data into the file and/or on line. You don't
>> really
>> need to know how to contact the other contributors, even if they had
>> equally
>> or more important roles.
>>
>> I believe that NODC recommends naming the principal investigator as
>> the 'creator' -
>> although in some circumstances there is no single PI, so maybe we
>> should say this
>> is the person who grants the use of the data.
>>
>> I'm using the publisher as the person who wrote the actual file that
>> contains
>> the terms, and I'm listing co-PIs and data processors as contributors.
>>
>> 2. file times:
>> date_created (recommended)
>> date_modified (suggested)
>> date_issued (suggested)
>>
>> These could well have different meanings for model data; for my in
>> situ data, I
>> have 2 (or, for real time data, possibly 3) useful file times; the
>> time the last edit
>> or processing occurred, which is the version information and could be
>> useful if
>> the underlying data has been changed,  and the time the file was
>> written, which
>> could provide information about translation errors being corrected.
>> (We don't update
>> files, we overwrite them; some people might need to describe the
>> time the
>> original file was written and time of last update?) For real time
>> data it could also be
> [...]

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *