[Esip-documentation] New ACDD home page

Derrick Snowden - NOAA Federal derrick.snowden at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 26 14:31:47 EDT 2013

All,

Just to get the ball rolling I created two new pages on the ESIP Wiki to
host the output of this group.  The first page is a category page.
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Category:Attribute_Conventions_Dataset_Discovery
I'm suggesting this as the home page and the page to use to reference
the
activities of the group, the approved standard (dare I call it a standard?
convention?)  and things we are working on.  The benefit of using a
category page as the home page is that any other wiki page you create will
be listed on the main page if the new page includes

[[Category: Attribute Conventions Dataset Discovery]]

somewhere in the text of the page.  It is a convenience feature that I
think will be useful.  I created the ACDD page as a subcategory of the
"Documentation Cluster" so our work will show up on that page as well.  If
you don't understand how MediaWiki handles categories now, I hope it'll
make sense after you click around for awhile and experiment.  The key is
including the category label somewhere in the text.

I created a second page (http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/ACDD) that I
think should hold the current version of what is essentially a controlled
vocabularies.  John Graybeal volunteered to take a first stab at migrating
the list from the current home on the NOAA EDM wiki
<https://geo-ide.noaa.gov/wiki/index.php?title=NetCDF_Attribute_Convention_for_Dataset_Discovery>
this new page.  In the process he was going to add some of his
interpretations of new definitions and possibly new terms.  I think this
new page will represent a new version of the convention.

You can see that I didn't really come up with a scheme for versioning the
pages.  If someone has some ideas I'd love to hear them because it's
something we should probably commit to sooner rather than later.

Have a good weekend.

Derrick

--
Derrick Snowden