[Esip-documentation] ACDD questions

Nan Galbraith ngalbraith at whoi.edu
Fri Apr 26 15:17:48 EDT 2013

I think we can use terms from a CV, but they should be meaningful,
not URLs or those lovely 5 character codes that hark back to languages
we've forgotten we ever knew.

We can select one CV, or we can add a term 'rolecode_vocabulary' (that
would be fairly reasonable, since we're already using
'keyword_vocabulary').

The SDN roles below are new, but the ISO roles are from a slightly outdated
page at NODC. I just find this format easier to look at than the full
xml and
csv formats that are available on line.

Personally, neither of these is very appealing - I hope the new ISO codes
will be better.

- Nan

SDN roles:
metadata collator 	Responsible for the compilation of metadata for one
or more
datasets and submission of that metadata to the appropriate
SeaDataNet metadata repository.
programme operation responsibility 	Responsible for the operation of a
data collecting programme.
programme archive responsibility 	Responsible for the archive centre
handling distribution of delayed
mode data from a collecting programme and the long term
stewardship of its data.
programme realtime responsibility 	Responsible for the centre handling
distribution of true and
near real time data from a collecting programme.
contact point 	Person responsible for the provision of information in
response
to queries concerning the metadata or underlying data.
principal funder 	Person or organisation that funds the majority of an
activity.
contributing funder 	Person or organisation that contributes to the
funding of an activity.
principal investigator 	Scientific lead of data collection within a
programme

ISO roles:
resourceProvider 	party that supplies the resource
custodian 	party that accepts accountability and responsability for the
data and ensures appropriate care and maintenance of the resource
owner 	party that owns the resource
sponsor 	party that sponsors the resource
user 	party who uses the resource
distributor 	party who distributes the resource
originator 	party who created the resource
pointOfContact 	party who can be contacted for acquiring knowledge about
or acquisition of the resource
principalInvestigator 	key party responsible for gathering information
and conducting research
processor 	party who has processed the data in a manner such that the
resource has been modified
publisher 	party who published the resource
author 	party who authored the resource
collaborator 	party who conducted or contributed to the research

On 4/26/13 2:38 PM, Derrick Snowden - NOAA Federal wrote:
> Codelists can be seen as antithetical to the CF goal of creating self
> describing files. Can we figure out a way to encode ISO objects with
> the need for references to other objects while still staying true to
> our goal of remaining aligned with CF? The last thing I'd want us to
> recommend is to open a door down a pathway back to Grib and BUFR.
>

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Ted Habermann
> <thabermann at hdfgroup.org <mailto:thabermann at hdfgroup.org>> wrote:
>
>     John et al.,
>
>     I agree completely that a shared vocabulary with definition is
>     critical. The old ISO vocab is at
>     https://geo-ide.noaa.gov/wiki/index.php?title=ISO_19115_and_19115-2_CodeList_Dictionaries#CI_RoleCode.
>     Many new roles were added in the most recent revision. There is
>     also a brief discussion at
>     http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/ISO_People (I will update that
>     list to include revisions)...
>
>     What is really important is that the representation allow
>     specification of the source of the code along with the code
>     itself. This is possible in THREDDS, but not ACDD. The job of the
>     standard is to say we use a codelist for this item and that
>     codelist has a location. It is the communities job to say: this is
>     the codelist that our community uses.
>
>     Ted
>

>     On Apr 26, 2013, at 1:02 PM, John Graybeal
>     <graybeal at marinemetadata.org <mailto:graybeal at marinemetadata.org>>
>     wrote:
>
>>     Should be from a controlled vocabulary IMHO. BODC has (for
>>     SeaDataNet) an extension of ISO role terms, if I recall
>>     correctly. I think it isn't just for contributor roles, it's for
>>     all roles that this is needed—ISO wasn't very thorough in the
>>     first place, but there will always be new ways for people to be
>>     connected to a data set.
>>
>>     I don't think we have to be restrictive (in what roles are
>>     allowed) but I think we should try to be explicit (about what a
>>     role means).
>>
>>     John
>>

>>     On Apr 26, 2013, at 10:57, Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith at whoi.edu
>>     <mailto:ngalbraith at whoi.edu>> wrote:
>>
>>>     Hi John -
>>>
>>>     One other item that I think we might need to have - beyond
>>>     better definitions
>>>     for some of the existing terms - is a CV for contributor roles.
>>>     I think one exists,
>>>     somewhere, but I'm not sure where. BODC, maybe? MMI? Or should
>>>     this really
>>>     be free text?
>>>
>>>     Thanks -
>>>     Nan

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *