[Esip-documentation] ACDD Governance and Next Steps

David Neufeld - NOAA Affiliate david.neufeld at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 15 12:04:34 EDT 2013

Hi All,

I made a presentation to ESIP last week on the ACDD governance process, and
thought it would be good to summarize the talk and discussion.

First in reviewing the history of the convention I went with the following
for version numbering and have updated the wiki accordingly to match this
version numbering scheme:

1.0 = Unidata Original
1.1 =
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Attribute_Convention_for_Data_Discovery_(ACDD)
1.2 beta =
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Attribute_Convention_for_Data_Discovery_(ACDD)_Working

This leaves room for more major changes (aka object conventions) for a
future 2.0 version.

Questions/Discussion

Mike McCann brought up a question related to changes in version 1.2 beta
and potential impacts on the OceanSITES community.  I believe his comments
were directed at the changes below
creator_person  The name of the person principally responsible for
originating this data. creator_person_info  Additional information for the
person principally responsible for the data in the file; can include any
information as vcard, ISO 19139, or free text (vcard or ISO 19139 is
recommended). creator_institution  The institution that produced the data;
should uniquely identify the institution. creator_institution_info
Additional information for the institution that produced the data; can
include any information as ISO 19139 or free text.

Hopefully, Mike will initiate some discussion on this topic on via the
listserve.  One thought I have is that we may need to deprecate terms for a
period in ncISO, that is support 1.1 terms while also supporting 1.2 terms
for a period of 1 year or more?
There was also a question about what we might be needing from the CF group,
I mentioned that we're open to a more formal submission to CF or OGC after
we come to internal agreement on ACDD_Working.

Lastly, I suggested that we would vote on version 1.2 at the end of
September.  To that end we might consider scheduling a call or two to flesh
out any disagreements prior to a vote.

-Dave

Dave Neufeld
NOAA /NGDC /CIRES