[Esip-documentation] Let's get rid of spatial and temporal bounds in ACDD

Signell, Richard rsignell at usgs.gov
Fri Mar 7 13:09:05 EST 2014

Gang,
I was just burned by gespatial and temporal bounds in ACDD again, and
it took us a while to find, so I'm irritated enough to get up from my
Friday afternoon office nap and write this message.  ;-)

The problem is that as soon as someone subsets or aggregates data from
netcdf or opendap datasets that use ACDD, the ACDD attributes in the
resulting dataset are wrong.   Since we subset and aggregate data all
the time, the ACDD metadata is often wrong.   The only way to correct
this would be to ensure that *all* clients that subset or aggregate
NetCDF or OpenDAP data modify the ACDD attributes in the output
datasets.   Yeah, right! ;-)

Since we already have CF compliant data, we have the information to
calculate the bounds from the coordinate variables.  So the temporal
and geospatial bounds can be accurately calculated by tools like
ncISO, which generates ISO metadata.   And if we subset or aggregate
the data and serve *that* up, ncISO will still generate the proper
bounds.

So I propose we stop saying that these properties at:
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Attribute_Convention_for_Data_Discovery_1-1
are "Recommended" and start saying "Not Recommended" for all
attributes that involve coordinate variables:

geospatial_bounds
geospatial_lat_min
geospatial_lat_max
geospatial_lon_min