[Esip-documentation] Let's get rid of spatial and temporal bounds in ACDD

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 7 15:29:31 EST 2014

On reflection, I do fundamentally disagree with your original proposal -- I thought you just wanted to not make these attributes recommended, but you want them specifically not recommended. This would take away a useful tool for many applications and systems, when as you note you already have the capability to detect problem files and compensate for them.

Point taken about the fact that standards come after the software is written, but it doesn't change my complaint about the software being broken.

Keeping in mind that copying metadata is in some sense a conscious decision, whether by developer or individual subsetter... The decision that it's OK to pass on any attribute that was in the original file, without qualifying that attribute in any way to indicate that it may not apply to the newly _altered_ file, is not thought through. The software has no way to tell what those attributes are describing (modification dates? versions? creators of the resulting files? file size? could be anything).  To put them into the new file blindly is, well, broken.

You/we, the users of the resulting files, will do battle with the providers of those files. They will do battle with the developers of the utilities. (Who will in turn do battle with their funders...)  But just maybe, identifying and calling out the bad practices -- while still appreciating the labors of the developers, who I'm sure had to work hard to solve many other issues -- will begin to get developers to be thinking about what those little fields, known and unknown, are there for.

I think the question of whether they are doing more harm than good has to be aggregated across all users and uses, including the many users who benefit from the economies of scale in even a few coupled frameworks. And today PO.DAAC may be one of only a few coupled frameworks -- by next year or the year after I bet we have dozens of coupled frameworks, all doing the right thing and interchanging these files with each other. The problematic files will quickly become the exception rather than the rule.

John

John Graybeal
jbgraybeal at mindspring.com