[Esip-documentation] Let's get rid of spatial and temporal bounds in ACDD

Nan Galbraith ngalbraith at whoi.edu
Fri Mar 7 16:02:12 EST 2014

Like a lot of systems, we use the geo/temporal bounds on the
oceansites servers to maintain an inventory of our holdings and
help people find what they're looking for, without having to load
the coordinate variables from all the files in real time.

Since this is a pretty common need, it makes sense for ACDD
to provide a standard way to encode this info.

Maybe we should add some text about which attributes should be
considered fragile and under what conditions they need to be
recalculated or removed, but I'm not in favor of removing the
terms from ACDD.

As someone pointed out, almost all the fields in ACDD metadata
can be degraded by subsetting/aggregation - add keywords to the
list, as they can easily be wrong when only some variables are
exported.

- Nan