[Esip-documentation] Let's get rid of spatial and temporal bounds in ACDD

Kenneth S. Casey - NOAA Federal kenneth.casey at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 18 06:48:04 EDT 2014

Hi All -

I've been silent but following this thread carefully.  Time to jump in now.

I concur with Ted's statements below.  I would characterize his responses as a good example of combating the "Tyranny of the Or". It doesn't have to be one solution or the other.  For us at NODC, processing literally tens and maybe hundreds of millions of netCDF granules, having easily and quickly read global attributes is not a convenience. It is a practical necessity.  We also like the idea of encouraging softwarians to write better software.  Corrupting attributes through negligence and inaction is not acceptable.  Fix it. If they can't, we can encourage our users to stop using that software.

I love the idea of building the congruence checker into the ACDD rubric and catalog cleaner, and I think an "ncdump -bounds" option, where the result is calculated from the actual bounds, is terrific too.  These kinds of additions to exiting tools would help encourage better practices and would give us some simple tools to improve our management of netCDF data.

Ken