[Esip-documentation] Documentation Cluster Telecon TODAY

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 17 15:18:29 EDT 2014

In our telecon a side discussion broke out on the chat session, which I failed to copy but would like to continue. The final question of the session, from Mike McCann, went something like:

> In CF 1.5 there was a cdm_data_type with a specific controlled vocabulary; in CF 1.6 it was replaced by feature_type with a different controlled vocabulary. Since ACDD doesn't specify what CF convention applies, does this represent a potential conflict?

With regard to 1.6, I don't believe it represents a conflict because there is no cdm_data_type in CF 1.6, and the ACDD cdm_data_type is explicitly different from CF's feature_type.

With regard to 1.5, looking at the specification at http://cf-convention.github.io/1.5.html, I'm not seeing cdm_data_type.  So I may have misquoted Mike, but so far I'm not seeing a conflict in this item.

The overall concern is whether not specifying a corresponding CF version is a problem for ACDD.  I hadn't thought of that, but I don't know of a conflict -- let me know if anyone comes up with an issue.

Mike, all, please feel free to continue the discussion here or off-line.

John

jbgraybeal at mindspring.com