[Esip-documentation] status/open issues for ACDD approval

John Graybeal via Esip-documentation esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org
Tue Aug 19 19:57:31 EDT 2014

Hi all,

In case we get time to consider ACDD Thursday, here are the issues I've seen on the discussion thread and their current status. The page at http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Attribute_Convention_for_Data_Discovery_1-2_Working contains the recommended changes.

If there are no further concerns raised, I'd like to do preliminary approval/consent at this call, and schedule the final approval for next call. (If there are still concerns, we can discuss them on-list or on the call.) The approved document can become Version 2, since several people have started calling it that; then everyone is free to work on a groups-aware revision, as they see fit.

A brief reminder: With respect to issues (1) and (2), because ACDD attributes are all recommendations -- there are no 'shall' statements in the document -- people are still within the specification while not using whatever attributes they don't like. So it isn't dysfunctional if there are attributes that some choose to omit, or deprecated terms that some choose to use.

=== Open Topics ===-

1) Deprecation of date_* attributes

This related to the deprecation of
    date_created, date_issued, data_modified
attributes, while adding (not 1 for 1)
    date_content_modified, date_values_modified, date_product_generated.

This topic was previously summarized in email; review that summary on the talk page[1]. If there continue to be concerns, we can vote on the best answer..

2) Adoption of summary metadata for geospatiotemporal ranges (good, tolerable, or bad?)

Extensive discussion led to an explicit section addressing key software principles[2], and some warning text.  I have not received any critical comments since the last round of changes. (I think one critic is satisfied, another perhaps just silent. :->)  If concerns remain, we can discuss and vote.

3) Organization of ACDD pages

There is a bit of confusion still with the current organization. I hesitated to go wild with fixes myself, but now that I'm co-chair with Anna, I think we can just fix issues as they are identified. If you have an issue with the ACDD organization, can you please send it to the list or us, as you prefer?  With approval a lot will become more transparent.

John

[1] Summary of date_* attribute concerns: http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Talk:Attribute_Convention_for_Data_Discovery_1-2_Working#Attributes_Discussed_and_Resolved

[2] Spatial and Temporal bounds summary recommendations:
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Talk:Attribute_Convention_for_Data_Discovery_1-2_Working#Spatial_and_Temporal_Bounds