[Esip-documentation] ACDD comments

Aleksandar Jelenak via Esip-documentation esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org
Thu Sep 18 22:23:18 EDT 2014

Hi Bob,

(I assume it’s you because the ESIP mailing list server seems to have
started obfuscating sender’s info.)

On 9/18/14, 7:20 PM, "ESIP Documentation LIst"
<esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:
>But my original question was: for the geospatial_bounds attribute (which
>is a WKT representation of a geometry), what are the units of the numbers
>and what is the coordinate system used in the geometry?

My answer: the same CRS that would apply if the
geospatial_{lat|lon}_{min|max} attributes were used. The description for
the geospatial_bounds should be amended to clarify this.

>I see examples of WKT geometries (without units and without a coordinate
>system) for example on Wikipedia, e.g.,
>POLYGON ((30 10, 40 40, 20 40, 10 20, 30 10))
>and I see examples of WKT coordinate systems (e.g., below).
>But I still haven't seen a WKT geometry example which includes units and
>a coordinate system.

I am not an expert on the WKT format but I’d say it is not currently
possible to combine a CRS declaration with a geospatial object’s extent
definition. PostGIS introduced a non-standard extension, EWKT, where a CRS
can be declared, e.g.: “SRID=4326;POLYGON(…)”.

	-Aleksandar