[Esip-documentation] ACDD comments --

Signell, Richard via Esip-documentation esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org
Tue Sep 23 06:34:53 EDT 2014

Here are the featureTypes Unidata currently recognizes:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/netcdf-java/javadoc/ucar/nc2/constants/FeatureType.html
which include
swath (level 2)
grid (bathy, level 3, structured model output)
ugrid (unstructured grid, e.g. triangular, hex grid)

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Aleksandar Jelenak via
Esip-documentation <esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> On 9/22/14, 8:23 PM, "Armstrong, Edward M (398M)"
> <Edward.M.Armstrong at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>>Any equi rectangular Level 3 or 4 grid with fixed longitude and latitude
>>grid spacing (so the lon/lat coordinate axes are 1 dimensional)
>
> Thanks. I thought so but wanted to be sure. I think the featureType
> attribute was introduced in the CF only for discrete sampling geometries.
> I don’t know if there are any plans to extend its vocabulary with some
> other feature types. A simple “grid” would be a good candidate, no?
>
>         -Aleksandar

Dr. Richard P. Signell   (508) 457-2229
USGS, 384 Woods Hole Rd.
Woods Hole, MA 02543-1598