[Esip-documentation] ACDD 1.3 issue: date & time stamps

Ge Peng - NOAA Affiliate via Esip-documentation esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org
Mon Oct 6 08:31:35 EDT 2014

Trying to look at the date issue from a different perspective:

Static historical datasets and near real-time datasets have different
requirements for creation date. So do that for collection-level metadata
records and file-level metadata attributes. Search and discovery will touch
on both collection- and file-level metadata in some way eventually.

Information about the “original” creation date and modification date can be
useful, especially for data provenance. However, both “original” creation
date and “modification” date imply a need for keeping track of dates.

For the static datasets and collection-level metadata records, decisions to
create and modify them tend to happen less frequently with weak or no
latency requirement and are often occurred subjectively and documented so
they may be more feasible to be implemented. Original creation date may be
relevant and good to have in this case.

On the other hand, for the near real-time datasets that usually have strong
data-latency requirement and file-level metadata such as those global
attributes of a NetCDF file in a near real-time dataset, it may not be
feasible to keep track of original creation date, although a version
number/date could be utilized. The file creation date/time stamp may be
more appropriate in this case.

Following the discussion thread on the date and time stamps and based on my
experience working with both static and near real-time datasets, it has
become apparent to me that having a date type element may offer an option
to allow the flexibility of implementing different types of dates for
different types of data as it may be nearly impossible for us to find an
one-size-fits-all solution.

Coming late to the discussions and not wanting to stir up any additional
discussion, I have withheld my comment until our last meeting when the type
element for creator was suggested. Now with Jim’s suggestion to approach
this issue in a more systematic way, I am putting my suggestion in –
hopefully it will help us to reach a more consistent decision as it will
have long-lasting implication for everyone – providers, stewards,
developers, and users.

Best regards,

--- Peng

P.S: Being thinking about it over the weekend but decided to post my
comment on this morning – maybe overlapping with Ted and John’s comments.

*Ge Peng, Ph.D*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA's National Climatic Data Center <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>