[Esip-documentation] ACDD 1.3 issue: remainders (cdm_data_type, naming_authority, variable attributes …)

Signell, Richard via Esip-documentation esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org
Mon Oct 6 09:28:38 EDT 2014

ACDD folks,

I originally was thinking that we should deprecate `cdm_data_type` in
favor of `featureType`, but as Bob Simons noted, CF "owns" this one,
and they don't yet recognize `GRID` and `UGRID` as valid values.
Hopefully some point in the future they will, but for now, I think we
need to keep `cdm_data_type` as is, and not deprecate it.

For those who are confused about `cdm_data_type` and `featureType`,
this discussion will be useful:
https://github.com/Unidata/thredds/issues/72#issuecomment-57660425

-Rich

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM, John Graybeal via Esip-documentation
<esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:
> Here are smaller issues remaining for ACDD 1.3. If not one complains about
> these in email, I will expect to drive through them very fast in the
> adjudication call.  (If you have a big concern with one of these, perhaps
> start a new thread with that particular attribute name.)
>
> cdm_data_type: (For background see the thread on Active Issues  item 3;
> further discussion should respond to this email.) Part of the issue is
> whether the substance of this attribute is appropriate any longer; part is
> whether the references to feature_type and the NODC guidance
> (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/catalog/InvCatalogSpec.html#dataType)
> are appropriate; and part is whether/how to honor the original purpose,
> which has been and continues to be used.
>

> naming_authority: (Active Issues item 11) Is there any problem with also
> allowing a URI as a valid name?
>

> source: The examples hare are slightly changed from the original CF.  OK?
>

> geospatial_vertical_positive: The core definition is "One of 'up' or 'down'.
> If up, vertical values are interpreted as 'altitude', with negative values
> corresponding to below the reference datum (e.g., under water). If down,
> vertical values are interpreted as 'depth', positive values correspond to
> below the reference datum." There is a proposal to add the following
> clarifying text: "Note that if geospatial_vertical_positive is down ('depth'
> orientation), the geospatial_vertical_min attribute specifies the data's
> vertical location furthest from the earth's center, and the
> geospatial_vertical_max attribute specifies the location closest to the
> earth's center."  OK?
>

> long_name, standard_name, units: These variable-level attributes have been
> rewritten to remove references to THREDDS.  OK?
>

> <END>

Dr. Richard P. Signell   (508) 457-2229
USGS, 384 Woods Hole Rd.
Woods Hole, MA 02543-1598