[Esip-documentation] ACDD 1.3 issue: geospatial_bounds, geospatial_vertical_units

John Graybeal via Esip-documentation esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org
Tue Oct 7 16:37:23 EDT 2014

I'm fine with geospatial_vertical_srid.  But note that geospatial_vertical_unit was explicitly mapped to the ISO CRS attribute in 1.1, so this concept was definitely not left out entirely. (Just out of the definition. ;->)  So at a minimum, a little clarifying text somewhere to distinguish the applicability of the *_units vs *_srid attributes is probably necessary.  I do like the idea that *_srid attributes apply to both bounds and min/max.

I'm not sure what 'sr' represents, though; and if we are just using a number, it has to be a CRS, right? (Because EPSG has 'cs' and 'crs' identifiers with the same number, and they are not the same thing). So would *_crsid be better?

I'll fix the nonexistent attribute, thanks.

>  The geospatial_*_min/max attributes specify a bounding box; the geospatial_bounds attribute enables much more precise definition of the data's discovery geospatial extent and the values are to be expected to be different.

Of course, sorry I skipped over the whole polygon concept (hence the freudian reference to geospatial_bounding_box!). But I assume (a) the default behavior of simple systems will be to generate geospatial_bounds with the same info as the limits, (b) many indexing systems would only be able to index/search by the min/max info anyway, and (c) consistency checks should be possible (no point in the WKT should be outside the min/max ranges). So in the end using the same CRSs seems essential.

John