[Esip-documentation] ACDD-1.3 documentation change request: Descriptions of "resolution" attributes

Jim Biard jbiard at cicsnc.org
Wed Feb 25 13:59:29 EST 2015

Hi.

I checked this as well, and there should clearly be both a
floating-point number and a units for a resolution entry. As Aaron
showed in his email, the units go in a 'uom' attribute on the
gco:Measure element, and the number is the value of the element. If
ncISO isn't doing this, then that sure appears to be an ncISO bug.

There is another issue, of a sort, that this points up. The
geospatial_(lat/lon)_resolution attributes in the documentation Aaron
listed allow for units that are nonsensical (to me, anyway), such as
meters for a quantity that should be restricted to angular units. You
can get away with it for latitude, but there is no way to create a
longitude axis on a grid that has constant steps in non-angular units.

Grace and peace,

Jim