[Esip-documentation] ACDD-1.3 documentation change request: Descriptions of "resolution" attributes

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 25 15:19:13 EST 2015

I am trying to find a good ncISO rep to be a part of this discussion -- with luck David Neufeld will jump in soon, or people can suggest another rep, perhaps from Unidata?

Not sure yet if we're having a call tomorrow, for now I am assuming we are.

I'm not sure that many current users are using this value the way it is documented: "Information about the targeted spacing of points". That does not mean either the accuracy or precision of the value, but the (intended) distance between points in a grid of values -- but often these values appear in data sets for single fixed stations, which seems invalid.

And as Jim B points out (thank you), the original ISO mapping assumes the grid sizes are georectified -- but some/many grids in earth science are laid out in non-angular constant steps (meters). I assumed we want to support those cases, and no one found fault with the examples -- but maybe they are flawed, if georectified is a constraint. Alternatively, units of meters (or plain, non-geo degree) could be mapped to non-georectified ISO grid resolution terms.

John