[Esip-documentation] Minutes / handling of ACDD guidance

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 27 14:54:31 EST 2015

I'm not sure what it means to say "the ACDD documentation would be amended", or whether that's a final decision. But I have a proposal intended to address this question, and avoid other process debates peeking their heads up....

As this thread every so often gets questions about the meaning/application of ACDD, indicating the specification is being actively used (yay) and not every answer is self-explanatory (shocking :->).  I propose we create a an ACDD guidance page, which could briefly explain best practices and understandings as they are derived in the emails.

In the present example, the page could include the facts that:
* the lat/lon/vertical resolution variables only should be used if there is a grid of observations in that axis
* tools typically construe a value without units to be the same units as the units given by geospatial_lat/lon/vertical_units
* values following the form "number units" should use UDUNITS-compatible units if they are to be understood by tools,
and possibly, depending on how the conversation unfolds,
* lat/lon resolutions should only be given for georectified grids (list of acceptable georectified units would be helpful here).

(If the idea that resolution attributes should not include units takes hold, that would require an update to the spec. We don't seem to be heading that direction though.)

Perhaps we could even agree that a small help icon in the main document's attributes table could be added whenever a guidance topic is added, without changing the ACDD specification version.

Thoughts?

John