[Esip-documentation] on documenting instrument and platform metadata

Aaron Sweeney aaron.sweeney at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 16 14:56:03 EDT 2015

Hi, folks,

      I’m struggling with how to capture platform and instrument
information in the appropriate places in netCDF files.  The NODC
templates suggest creating separate variables for platforms and
instruments, with multiple variable attributes (make, model, serial
number, precision, accuracy, etc.), and associating these platform and
instrument variables with physical variables via an “ancillary_variable”
variable attribute attached to the physical variable. Along these lines,
SeaDataNet suggests including variable attributes for instrument
(sdn_instrument_urn and sdn_instrument_name), and OceanSites suggests
either the use of a separate instrument variable (with make, model,
serial number attributes) or capturing make, model and serial number as
variable attributes contained directly within the relevant physical
variable.  But ACDD-1.3 only has single /global/ attributes for platform
and instrument (and vocabularies).  The NODC templates suggest placing
the names of the variables containing information on platforms and
instruments in the global attributes: instrument and platform.  I like
NODC’s and OceanSites’ “associative” approach (i.e. “this instrument
goes with this physical variable”), but the use of variable names in
global attributes conflicts with ACDD-1.3.

      It seems that in order to comply with ACDD-1.3, I need to capture
instruments and platforms at a global level (dropping their association
with physical measurement variables), but in order to comply with
OceanSites and others, I need to capture instrument and platform
information in separate variables and associate these with physical
measurement variables via an ancillary_variable attribute.

      In order to comply with both, in the interest of enabling
interoperability, I seem to need to repeat instrument and platform
metadata in two different places.

      Any thoughts or guidance?