[Esip-documentation] Request for ACDD global attributes for geospatial data resolution

Mary Jo Brodzik brodzik at nsidc.org
Thu Jan 26 17:32:42 EST 2017

Dear Esip-documentation members,

Thank you for the discussion of my request at Monday's telecon, I
apologize for missing the telecon.  I just listened to the youtube
recording of it, which was useful.

In the time since my request, I had to start producing data, so I took the
existing geospatial_lat/lon_resolution practices as my model.

I actually created my files with the attributes you suggested at the
meeting, e.g.:

geospatial_x_resolution = "3125.00 meters" ;
geospatial_y_resolution = "3125.00 meters" ;

It did not occur to me to populate and set geospatial_x_min/max or
geospatial_y_min/max; I reasoned that these were covered by the x/y
dimension variable bounds.  However, in the spirit of giving the user of
my data set some intelligible information in the global attributes, I also
populated the lat/lon bounds like this:

geospatial_bounds_crs = "EPSG:6931"
geospatial_lat_min = 0.
geospatial_lat_max = 90.
geospatial_lon_min = -180.
geospatial_lon_max = 180.

I realized that this mixed mensurations a bit, since I did not populate
attributes for (nonsensical, in my case) geospatial_lat/lon_resolution.

I think that your proposed new attributes
geospatial_x/y_resolution/min/max would definitely meet my use case.

As for definitions for your minutes page at:

http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Documentation_Cluster_Minutes_2017-01-23

may I suggest the following definitions for a beginning point (modified
from the analogous ACDD lat/lon attributes):

geospatial_x_min: Describes leftmost limit for projected data x
dimension in a left-handed Cartesian plane; specifies the lowest x
dimension value covered by the dataset.

geospatial_x_max: (replace leftmost/lowest with rightmost/highest)

geospatial_y_min: Describes bottommost limit for projected data y
dimension in a left-handed Cartesian plane; specifies the lowest y
dimension value covered by the dataset.

geospatial_y_max: (replace bottommost/lowest with uppermost/highest)

geospatial_x_resolution: Information about the targeted spacing of
projected data points in x dimension. Recommend describing resolution as a
number value followed by the units. Example: '3125.00 meters'

geospatial_y_resolution: (replace x with y)

Regarding your question about how similar the projected data case is to
the swath data case:  I would say that a rectangular array of projected
data is different from swath data, because the spacing between adjacent
pixels across the array is fixed in map coordinates, e.g. from one pixel
to the next in my data, the spacing is always 3.125 km in the map
coordinates (the projected plane).  Depending on the projection, the
correspond location distances can and will be different on the sphere, and
in terms of latitute or longitude, but in map coordinates it is a single
number and does have meaning for a user.  I'm using the term "map
coordinates" as in the left-handed Cartesian plane in the second figure of
this document:

https://nsidc.org/support/41976964-Points-Pixels-Grids-and-Cells-A-Mapping-and-Gridding-Primer-

Thank you for your time and consideration, I will be happy to answer any
other questions about my use case if they arise.

Mary Jo

Mary Jo Brodzik, Senior Associate Scientist, 303-492-8263
NSIDC/CIRES, Univ. of Colo. at Boulder, 449 UCB, Boulder, CO 80309-0449
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used
when we created them."  --Albert Einstein