[Esip-documentation] time_coverage_duration and time_coverage_resolution for climatological data

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 16 00:49:05 EDT 2018

Well, there are clearly two time durations related to this data set—one describing the duration of the whole set, and the other describing the duration of the slice that you’ve taken of the data set. Or, to look at it another way, the duration represented by the original data, and the duration represented by the calculated data. So I suppose there’s a solid argument about ambiguity. (I’m pretty sure we didn’t discuss this particular use case, if that helps!)

That said, I’d have to disagree with your science steward on this one. The data that is represented clearly represents a time coverage of 10 years, and if you use start and end times to convey that, it would be too strange for people (and software) to see a duration that is not equal to end-minus-start. Time coverage should mean the same thing for all 3 attributes. (Conversely, if you had used the start and end of the month as a time_coverage_start/end, that would be weird, because which year are we really talking about?)

If you need to reflect that this is not 10 years of data, that clue provided by the fact the time coverage resolution would be 1 month. If your whole data set is one point for each month of the year, that means you have 12 months of data, which indicates climatology pretty clearly to me. If your whole data set is just one point, you could still use 1 month for the resolution, to reflect the fact that if you have a second data point it would be 1 month away. (Which neatly solves the problem of figuring out how big an interval is represented by the one point.)

Note that time_coverage_resolution is the only one of the 4 attributes that refers to the _values_ in the data set, as opposed to the data set as a whole. So it makes sense to me that 1 month fits for that, but 10Y fits for the duration of the set as a whole.

These are metadata specifications not precise data descriptions, so it is fair to say that we’re at the edge of what’s realistic for ACDD to represent. That said, if a user is searching for data sets that span at least X years, they would want you to have used 10Y for your duration.

John

John Graybeal
jbgraybeal at mindspring.com